Monday, January 28, 2008

New Sermon Series: Nahum

I am certain that some of my professors at Regent College would be surprised that I would attempt to start a new sermon series in the dead of Winter in New England on the book of Nahum. I must admit, I am a little nervous, it is not an Old Testament book that is often used in preaching.

Last Winter, I organized the sermons on First Corinthians in such a way that covered the more lively topics in First Corinthians. (Worship, Speaking in Tongues, Prophecy, etc...) This was to keep folks awake and on their toes.

So this Winter I seem to be doing the very opposite. Doom and gloom is the feel of the book of Nahum, and there is no getting past that. Yet, I feel excited to begin this series. Nahum is very different from Jonah, yet there are also similarities. Nineveh is the obvious connection, but also themes of God Sovereignty come into play as well. I think it will be interesting, but if you are still on the fence, come and visit us and find out!

No comments: