Thursday, November 29, 2007

Quote from Steve W. Brown

I am not sure how many of you know Steve Brown, but I think he is worth listening too and read. I have known about him for years, and it occurred to me that not too many folks outside the PCA have heard of Steve.

His conversion is interesting to say the least. A minister in a mainline church and was saved through the witness of several men. He is a very unconventional speaker, maybe too rough for some folks, but I have found him insightful.

Anyhow, from that time in his life, Steve began preaching from the Word of God. And on the back of his first ministry tapes was this quote. I have kept these tapes for years and I thought you might be interested to read it.

“A number of years ago I was a preacher without a message. I talked a lot, and had what I thought were some very good “ideas” But I was empty and shallow...ready to leave the ministry because I (and the people to whom I spoke) were tired of my ideas. My problem was that I had no authority except myself.

And then a sovereign, loving God through some obedient, loving brothers took the time to help me discover an absolute and reliable authority. That authority is the Bible. That discovery changed my life, and gave me a message. The message isn't mine, it is the message of God through His written Word. It is a high privilege to share that message with you in these tapes.

I would ask you to remember that the Father has only one perfect preacher. His name is Jesus. It is my prayer that you would meet Him in these tapes.”

No comments: