Friday, November 09, 2007

Sacred Space?

I read this article on the CBC.ca website, the Canadian Network. Here is an excerpt.

A Winnipeg church prevented aboriginal dancers from performing at a Habitat for Humanity event this week, saying the performance was not an expression of Christian faith.

"Native spiritual dancing has its roots in a different spiritual belief system that is incongruent with traditional Christian worship," Hughes said in an e-mail.

"I don't think a Buddhist temple would allow a Christian pastor to speak about Jesus."

I would tend to agree with the church. When I lived in Vancouver, we had similar experiences of outside groups renting our facilities and setting up shrines to represent other spiritual entities.

It is sad today that folks do not realize there is something sacred about a church, a place of worship. I do think that comes about for several reasons.

Sometimes the church advertises it has a multi-purpose room, and folks do not think of it as a worship space. Others locations look no different than a high school auditorium or a local theatre. I also think that people have become more to the thinking that spirituality is anything and everything. Christianity, Buddhism, New Age Spirituality, it is all the same.

Our casual attitude towards God in this regard could get us into trouble. And I do think as Christians, we need to take a stand at time. I think this was the right choice. What do you think?



No comments: